Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Accidents Happen

Accidents Happen

By: Chris Crawford
       When I got into my vehicle, I would have never thought this would be the outcome. My child and wife now passed away after a ferocious, head-on, vehicular collision. My Avtovaz completely annihilated by an on-coming freighter truck. Yet, however amazing the circumstances, I managed to survive, alone. I now live 10 years later, without my right leg, my family, or glee. I, Grigori Vasilev live in the miniature city of Ghalendzhik within Russia’s borders. In a nice little apartment structure, next door to an ancient, crazy, blind man who loves to beat tunes on his drum in the evening. In my apartment I kept a “sacred” room in which I kept most of my family’s memories. For example, 3 old chestnuts that I had bought my child just before the crash, and his blanket he had carried everywhere. Then, my wife’s old coin collection of vast communities around the world sat on a table across the room. We often loved to explore and go to fresh places. Much of it had to do with my career however; I am an artist you see. I traveled the world to show my wares and tried to sell them. I loved to carve and create many wonderful creations. I kept my old ruler and a fancy little clay pot I often used to outline and create pictures. Now, I still do a few pieces here and there. Such as an extremely elaborate carving of a head, resembling my child, or my little canoe I cut out of a stub of wood I had. Usually, I don’t sell much, the only piece I have really sold was a Mesia Statue, which didn’t quite give much profit. Leaving my glass jar, and my old worn wallet are usually quite barren. My only income coming from the post cards I often created with my signature stamp on the top left corner. Other than that I really don't have the will to do much anymore, down and sully with depression I have become. I have been told many times to go back and live my life. Do what I loved to do so much in the past. I often sit and ponder that equation in my head while looking into the deep night sky, while watching the brilliant crescent moon smile back at me. There are many times I sit and wonder if it was my fault for turning around for just that one second to answer my child’s question. “Why did I have to turn away for that one second?” I would always say, but now, I am starting to realize. The people are right; I still need to live my life, but in my own way..

No comments:

Post a Comment